Friday, June 8, 2012

Fun With Colored Rice

My friend Schi-Schu, as we call her, taught me how to make colored rice and the kids LOVE it! They play with it for hours, even the big kids that come over here can't keep their hands out of it. I'm not going to lie, when everyone is in bed, I even enjoy a little hand dipping in the grains. It's super easy to make, so easy in fact, I let my 3 year old wild thing do it.

First you'll want to run to the store and get these things:

  • A big old bag of the cheapest white rice that you can find.
  • Food coloring
  • Bowl
  • Measuring cup
  • Spoon
  • Cookie sheets
  • A big bin
  • Measuring cups and spoons (for the kids)

It's so simple! Fill up a bowl with the rice and pour on some food coloring. Stir it up to mix in the color. Spread the rice onto your cookie sheet and put in the oven at 250 for about 30 min. This lets the food coloring dry. You could also let it sit out in the sun. -- I mixed all of the colors in the bin to make a rainbow of rice, I've seen people do separate colors in cute little bowls, but let's be real here... I have a wild thing. We've got to keep it simple. Here's my 3 year old making colored rice:


Pouring the rice in the bowl
Stirring in the food coloring
Putting it on the cookie sheet
Blue and greeen :)
In the oven
And in the bin
He loves it!


No comments:

Post a Comment