Friday, June 8, 2012

DIY Upside Down Wine Bottle Planter

My wine bottle fascination came when I pinned the following picture from Pinterest. I looked all over the internet for a tutorial and couldn't find one anywhere! I wasn't about to give up, so I looked at the picture really close and tested it to see if it worked. Well, I figured it out and I want to share how to do it. It's really simple really, I made a post a while back about making a Hydroponic Wine Bottle Planter and it uses a similar technique. Feel free to look at the previous post to fill in the gaps.
Pic from Pinterest.
What you'll need:
  • Cleaned/empty wine bottle
  • Bottle cutter
  • Ice
  • Candle & Lighter
  • Sand paper
  • Small plant -- preferably a vine or something that grows well upside down.
  • Moss
  • Drill with small glass drill bit
  • WD-40
  • String or twill
Cutting: 1. Using the wine bottle cutter, you want to make a score line. Just go around once or twice with medium pressure. 2. Run an ice cube around the score line until cold. 3. Hold the score line about half an inch above the candle's flame and rotate until warm. 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the bottle splits. 5. Sand the edges of the bottle until smooth.

  1. Cut as directed except at the very bottom of the bottle. Be patient, sometimes it takes a couple tries. Throw out the bottom and sand along the edge of your cut so that it isn't sharp.
  2. Using the drill and small glass cutting bit, carefully drill 2 small holes, big enough to fit your string through, at the very top of the neck, preferably where it's very thick. Spray some WD-40 while your cutting it to cool down the temperature, it get's hot!
  3. Dampen the moss and stuff it up into the bottle. *When the moss dries, it will expand.*
  4. This is the tricky part, take the small plant out of it's container and size it out for the opening of the bottle, you may have to shake off some dirt. Wrap the damp moss around the dirt/root system and fit it tightly into the bottom of the bottle. You want a tight squeeze!! It surprisingly holds. I was pretty shocked!
  5. String it and hang it up! It'll look cooler as the plant grows.
The ones that we made.
Care tips: To water them, take it down and water them from the bottom. Let them sit *upside down* with the neck in a glass to drain. Don't try to hang them back up when they are soaking wet, they'll drip all over the place and I even had one fall out once.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you !!! I have been searching all over to see how these are made !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of moss did you use? Decorative Spanish moss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Sphangnum Moss (Long Fibered), for lining hanging baskets and soil free growing. I picked it up at Lowes in the indoor gardening section.

      Delete
  3. What if I am hanging them outside? Can I just water them from the neck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, the water causes the moss to contract, allowing the plant to slip right out of the bottle. Maybe if you were to stuff the moss extra tight and water very slowly, you could have better success. Let me know if you figure out a better method, I'd love to know! :)

      Delete
  4. Is dried moss required to make a hold?

    ReplyDelete